The President/CEO, by authority granted in the chamber bylaws and by the Alvin Manvel Area Chamber of Commerce (AMACC) Board of Directors, is the Chief Executive Officer of the chamber responsible for providing leadership for a full range of the chamber’s operational activities. Such activities include but are not limited to coordination and implementation of the annual program of work as set forth by the Board of Directors, implementation of the policies and procedures, motivation of membership and volunteers, overseeing and implementation of approved annual budget, community outreach, vision planning and leadership of chamber staff.
The President/CEO works closely with the chamber’s Executive Board to assure the effective functioning of the board and the active involvement of members. Provides vision and leadership to the organization or business to achieve a high-level of results. The President/CEO works with the Board of Directors to develop strategic and annual goals to achieve the mission of the organization and to assure its financial strength. The President/CEO is responsible for assuring the development, implementation and maintenance of an annual plan of action and annual budget for achieving established goals. The President/CEO is the chief spokesperson for the organization.
Nature and Scope:
Key responsibilities include:
- Corporation Duty: Responsible for the safekeeping of the AMACC legal records and documents. Prepare, negotiate and mediate contracts, commercial lease space & other legal documents.
- Board of Director Relations: Responsible for effectively communicating and updating directors on AMACC activities and events. Ensure AMACC policy is recorded and documented. Assist the Board in preparation of position statements on public issues.
- Program of Work: Responsible, with the assistance of division and committee chairs, for the planning and administration of the AMACC’s annual business plan (program of work), in accordance with the policies of the AMACC. Assists the Board of Directors in the short- and long-range planning of the AMACC.
- Staff: Responsible for the hiring, discharging, directing and supervising of all employees of the AMACC. Manage and lead the chamber staff while creating a work environment that is effective, inclusive, productive and rewarding. Create and implement personnel policies and ensure appropriate staff training.
- Finance: Responsible, with the cooperation of the division and committee chairs, and Treasurer,for the preparation of an operating budget covering all activities of the AMACC, subject to the approval of the Board of Directors. Responsible for all expenditures within the approved budget allocation. Monitors and assists with the preparation of financial reviews and audits as per the schedule stated in the AMACC bylaws.
- Membership: Responsible for overseeing the recruitment and retention of new members to the AMACC. Motivate members to commit to the AMACC activities and events. Analyze and interpret the needs of members and make recommendations to improve services and assist with adding value to AMACC membership benefits.
- Policies and Procedures: Provide leadership to ensure the operational components of the AMACC’s function to maximum efficiency. Assist the Board of Directors in the interpretation of AMACC policies while making policy suggestions aimed at promoting the vision and mission of the AMACC.
- Facilities: Responsible for the location, design and maintenance of facilities while providing an efficient operation and positive image for the AMACC. Oversee security and emergency systems for the organization.
- Community Outreach: Represent the AMACC at appropriate meetings; serve as a liaison with all community groups and as official spokesperson for the AMCC. Review and evaluate legislation which will impact the AMACC’s goals and policies and discuss potential action plans with committees and the Board of Directors for study and possible future action.
- Internal Chamber Management: Create and prepare comprehensive business plans, strategic plans, annual budgets and marketing strategies. Assure the ongoing and consistent communication to employees, members and the general public. Secure all funds to operate the organizations through dues, contributions, sponsorships and grants. Actively seek new sponsors that allow the AMACC to provide programs that will build strong partnerships. Oversee all AMACC programs and special events. Conduct work performance evaluations pertaining to AMACC programs and activities. Answer workplace complaints and resolve problems.
- Board Responsibilities: Develop and train board members in governance, finance, and promotional strategies. Recruit and develop division and committee chairs, division and committee members and volunteers. Maintain regular communication with board members and other volunteer leaders.
- External Community Responsibilities: Promote and maintain strong relationships with elected officials, business owners and community leaders. Write and deliver articles and presentations for community events, business forums, meetings and seminars. Support economic development efforts in partnership with the local entities. Represent the AMACC at community forums, city council meetings and community events. Recruit speakers and industry tours.Develop new and relevant programs and Business Builder seminars to offer membership.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years in managing organizations, staff and volunteer leaders and/or boards.
- Experience in chamber of commerce leadership is preferred.
- Experience with the Chamber Master program is preferred.
- Experience with QuickBooks (or comparable financial software) and Excel programs.
- Experience with preparing financial statements and overseeing a budget is required.
- Certification through the Institute for Organizational Management through the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is preferred or willingness to participate in continuing education through GCCE andTCCE.
Strengths and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of personalities and professional backgrounds.
- Strong communication skills, including written and public speaking.
- Read, analyze and interpret data needed to make critical decisions in a timely manner.
- Adapts well to change and embraces new ideas.
- Makes thoughtful decisions in stressful situations with compassion, logic, creativity and commonsense.
- Participate in professional development and continued educational opportunities.
Job performance criteria will be based on the following:
- Compliance of any contractual obligations, allocation of resources for effectiveness and
- Development of the organization.
- Achieving membership recruitment and retention goals.
- Achieving budget goals.
- Achieving annual goals set by the Board of Directors.
The job posting can be found on at www.alvinmanvelchamber.org; the AMACC Facebook page; the Gulf
Coast Chamber Executive website at www.gulfcoastchamberexecs.com and the Texas Chamber of
Commerce Executives website at www.tcce.org.
To apply send letter of interest and resume to: Hiringamacc@gmail.com